Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog (80lb GSD 10 months old) swallowed 16 pieces of

Customer Question

My dog (80lb GSD 10 months old) swallowed 16 pieces of xylitol based gum! Didnt chew it. Sawllowed it...then threw up shortly thereafter. The gum is still whole. She didnt chew it. She is showing no signs of anything wrong and its been about 5 hours. Should I be worried, or did we get lucky???
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I added in another section but will add here as well. She had ALOT of food for dinner before the gum. ALL of which she threw up...Im hoping that this food prevented the zylitol from being absorbed into her system.... She is showing nonsigns of toxicity and is sleeping comfortablly right now. Also. Its 110am and I am exhausted. Im not sure ai can drive 30 min to an emerg vet. Our vet opens at 7am. I will take her in the morning just to be safe. What do u think?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
An answer sooner or later would be appreciated. Its 140am now and still no change. I can barely stay awake.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Based on your notes above, it sounds like Koko has been extremely lucky. If she brought that gum right back up intact, then there wouldn't have been a toxicity risk. As well, based on her lack of signs within the hour post ingestion, we know that she didn't have enough to trigger a blood sugar crash. That means our only concern at this point would be whether any gum wasn't brought up (which your history suggests it all was) since even low doses can cause liver damage. So, if you think she brought it all up we can all breathe a sigh of relief. If you think any was left in the stomach, then we'd want to consider close monitoring and potentially having a blood sample checked to assess liver function. If that is all clear, then Koko is a lucky gal and we can assume that this has done no harm.

Please take care & my apologies again that my colleagues were not available to aid you earlier,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you for your answer. I am 99.9% sure that she has gotten it all up. We are now almost 12 hours from the event, and Coco seems to be doing fine. We are up with the kids. And she is her normal energetic, hungry, and inquisitive self.We will continue to monitor her today, and call the vet if we see any different signs. But yes, I think we got lucky. Thanks again for your answer! Ive attchd a pic of her (she just stole a piece of toast from my sons plate!) this morning. Like I said...seems like a normal day so far! :)
Corey
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 10 months ago.

Hello again,

Good! I am very glad to hear that she likely brought it all up and is well in herself just now (even if that means getting up to mischief). ;)

As well, that sounds like a good plan of action and I agree that 12 hours on, we'd not be overly worried here. So, I would suggest monitoring to be cautious but if she brought those back up unchewed, then she is a very lucky gal and toxicity risk here is low.

All the best to you both,

Dr. B.