Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 13 year old diabetic samoed husky hasn't eaten all day,

Customer Question

My 13 year old diabetic samoed husky hasn't eaten all day, is drinking excessive amounts of water, pacing, trying to have a bowel movement and vomiting water
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He's on 18cc of vetsulin twice a day and is on high protein diet but hasn't eaten all day. Now has missed 2 meals and two insulin doses. Seems very lethargic too
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 13 year old. Ideally, he should be hospitalized on IV fluids and injectable antiemetic and antacid therapy. His blood glucose needs to be assessed to better understand how much insulin he currently needs. It's nigh impossible to medicate such a patient at home if only because he's been vomiting and likely to vomit anything you give him orally. Please note that the standard of care is to continue the same dose of insulin when one meal is missed, halve the insulin dose when two meals are missed, and stop dosing with insulin when three meals are missed. At 13 years of age there are too many possible causes of his inappetence to list in this venue but acute pancreatitis must top my differential list in any diabetic because his pancreas is already compromised and causing his diabetes.

He's likely to be quite hyperglycemic at this time as evidenced by his drinking excessive amounts of water. His polydipsia (increased thirst) is exacerbated by his fluid loss through his vomiting. - hence the need for intravenous replacement fluids and electrolytes. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?