Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Is my name. My Beagle weighs 25-26 lbs. I picked up s

Customer Question

is my name. My Beagle weighs 25-26 lbs. I picked up his Nexgard today and the dosage is for dogs 25-60 lbs. That seems like overkill to me. I was wondering if there was a downside to cutting the pill in half -- just don't want him to have too much product but want to make sure he is protected.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My Beagle weights 25-26 lbs. His nexgard dosage is for dogs between 24-60 lbs. Want him protected but don't want to give more product than he needs. Is it ok to cut the pills in half?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb. Thanks for requesting me; I'll do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern for your Beagle. As you might expect this is a question that often gets asked for those dogs who are close to the cut off weight for oral and topical medication such as Nexgard.

As far as flea and tick products go, Nexgard is one of the safer ones, I'm happy to say. And, there's often a dosage range for many drugs (not just this one) which is why there's such a wide weight range.

You could certainly cut the pill in half (the active ingredients are equally distributed in the pill) but I'm not sure that he would be adequately protected if you do.

If this were my dog, I'd give the entire pill but you could give him 1/2 if you wanted. I hope this helps. Deb

Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Deb