Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog had 2 puppies, 3 days ago. She had stopped eating

Customer Question

My dog had 2 puppies , 3 days ago. She had stopped eating for 10 days before birth due to loss of another dog and she was sad. this is her 2nd pregnancy , she had 4 puppies 1 year ago. Her 2 top breast are very swollen and she has been crying all night, What could be wrong ? I noticed this morning after checking her , she was crying all night. what could be wrong ? please help.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr.Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog. It is possible that since she had only two puppies, all of her mammary glands are not being emptied and they front two have filled with milk and become painful. Another possibility is an infection of the mammary glands called mastitis. Are the glands very warm to the touch? Is she eating again?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
she is eating and the top glands do not feel any warmer than the rest.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I took her to the vet the same day she gave birth that night on the 23rd. He did not mention anything wrong with her. except the not eating part. he recommended urgent care food and baby food and gave me syringe to feed her.
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Ok. Will she let you express some millk from those glands? If so, does the milk appear normal? Any appearance of pus?

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

So if the glands are not hot to the touch and the milk that comes from them is normal in appearance, I suspect they are swollen and painful from not being nursed and now they are full of milk. You can apply a warm compress to the glands and then allow the puppies to nurse on them, or express some milk yourself by hand to provide some relief. Then try to make sure the puppies are nursing from all the glands to prevent this in the future. If at any point your dog becomes lethargic/stops eating, the glands become hot to the touch, or the milk expressed looks like it has blood or pus, then this could be an infection called mastitis. Here is an article onthis: http://www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/endocrine/c_dg_mastitis, that condition does require antibiotics so you willneed to contact your vet for those. Helping keep the glands for getting too full is important with mastitis as well, and nursing the pups or expressing glands will help with this. You can also apply a compress of cabbage leaves to the mammary glands to increase her comfort level as well.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping answer your question. Thank you and good luck!