Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I AM ***** *****.....HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY SADDENED BY MY 6

Customer Question

HI, i AM ***** *****.....HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY SADDENED BY MY 6 YEAR OLD DACHSUND MIX DIAGNOSED WITH GLAUCOMA. CALLED A VET OPTHAMOLOGIST, THEY WERE NOT COMPASSIONATE...WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: HE IS EXTRAORDINARILY ACTIVE AND HAPPY. MY PRIMARY VET OFFERED ME A GRIM PROGNOSIS. MY PUP STILL IS EATING WELL AND FUNCTIONAL. I WAS HOPING TO SEEK ALTERNATIVE REMEDIES. I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR THAT MY ONLY OPTION IS TO HAVE HIS EYE REMOVED! PLEASE HELP ME. MONEY IS AN ISSUE AND THE SPECIALISTS SECRETARY BASICALLY STIPULATED THAT IF I DO NOT HAVE BOTTOMLESS POCKETS; i SHOULD HAVE MY PUPS EYE REMOVED BY MY VET.....
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Sorry to hear about your Daschund. Is he on any medications currently? Does he still have his sight as far as you can tell?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is on eye drops, ointment and pain killers. My vet said he is totally blind in his right eye. I never knew how detrimental glaucoma is......

Can you tell me which eye drops he is on? When I have dealt with serious cases of glaucoma I have tried several types of eye drops which some have helped. The most common ones I have used were Xalatan and Dorzoalamide. Also I have sent dogs to eye specialist who have been able to draw fluid from the back of the eye and give injections in the eye which has helped as well. It can be more challenging to treat once they are blind but the only purpose for removing the eye is if he is in so much pain or the eye is bulging