Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has red bumps on her underbelly and has started

Customer Question

My dog has red bumps on her underbelly and has started licking them intensely
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Can you upload a close-up photo(s) of these bumps to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/ I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'll take a picture when I go home to walk her on my lunch. Just to preference she is a rescue that I got about 3 weeks ago and she is on antibiotics for some sort of infection from ticks. I can remember what it is called. But I'll get the pics over around 2

I appreciate it. I'll watch for your next post. The common tick-borne infections are Lyme, anaplasmosis, and ehrlichiosis.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here you go

Thank you! This appears to represent a superficial spreading pyoderma - a bacterial infection of the skin usually caused by Staphylococcal bacteria. If you look closely, you'll see an epidermal collarette - a roughly circular skin lesion typical of pyoderma. These start out as pustules and then spread out in a circular manner. The center quiets down and often hyperpigments and the rim can stay actively inflamed. This looks minor and might be addressed simply with shampooing twice weekly in a shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide available over the counter or at Marley's vet hospital. After drying the affected area, a topical triple antibiotic such as Polysporin or Neosporin can be rubbed well into and around the lesions twice daily. Marley's licking, however, indicates that these lesions are quite pruritic (itchy) and so he may not leave anything you rub into the skin alone. In that case, a prescription systemic antibiotic such as cephalexin can be prescribed for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is taking an antibiotic called doxy (I think that's what it says) will thus also work for her skin?

Yes, doxycycline isn't a first choice antibiotic for the skin but can be useful in many cases. See how the doxycycline + shampooing + the topical antibiotic affects Marley. There's a good chance you can avoid a vet visit. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Marley. How is everything going?