Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog poop was black today checking if there is an issue,

Customer Question

My dog poop was black today checking if there is an issue
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He seems fine does take meds after his knee operation 1 month ago when he pooped today it was black should i be concern if his poop is black again tomorrow
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me what medications he is taking? Is his appetite normal?Any vomiting?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He is taking vetdrofen, he threw up Monday, he is always hungry very good appetite he ways 32 lbs has not lost any weight
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Vetprofen? Ok. That is an NSAID, and with NSAIDs we do run the risk of gastrointestinal ulcers. Black stool is a sign of digested blood, which could be coming from the stomach. I would not give him any more of the medication and call your vet first thing in the morning to let them know what is happening and see if he needs an exam.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Is he alert and energetic today? If you look at his gums are they nice and pink in color?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
how do they treat gastrointestinal ulcers
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
he is alert energetic
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
gums are pink
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Usually with a combination of drugs such as sucralfate (coats the stomach lining) and an antacid, most often we would use a drug called misoprostol. These are both prescription medications. But oftentimes we do want to check their blood count first and do an exam to be sure there isn't excessive bleeding. I am glad he seems to be doing well at home. If at any point he does become abruptly weak, looks pale, or his belly becomes very painful, then take him to the emergency vet tonight. Most likely since he is stable, he will continue to be so and can be evaluated in the morning when your vet opens.

Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have any other questions! If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping answer your question. Thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If his poop is black in the morning do you recommend the vet
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

I would recommend the vet in the morning no matter what his poop looks like! Hopefully this is just a mild ulcer, given the fact he is otherwise acting normally (other than vomiting once, which is also seen with ulcers), but I have seen these ulcers turn bad and cause a perforation of the stomach,so they shouldn't be ignored.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
thanks
Expert:  Jess K replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome! Best of luck to you and your dog!!!