Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My dog was shaking real bad now she feels really hot on her

Customer Question

My dog was shaking real bad now she feels really hot on her head and she keeps trying to yawn but cant complete it and she has a lump on one side of her throat
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 9 months ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your pup hasn't been feeling well tonight. Is this lump something really new? How big is it? It sounds like she' in some discomfort based on your description of her trying to yawn repeatedly it sounds like it might be bothering her. Shaking is also a sign of discomfort, pain, or anxiety. The feeling hot on the forehead doesn't signal a fever in dogs like it does in people. The best way to know if a dog has a fever would be to get a rectal temperature - it should be less than 102.5. If this lump is really new and she's in a lot of discomfort, I would consider having her examined by a veterinarian as soon as possible - likely at an emergency clinic. Some other red flag that indicate a pet needs emergency care would be pale, blue, or yellow gums, any difficulty breathing, a distended belly, or obvious pain. If it's definitely not possible to have her examined on emergency tonight, I'd call your vet first thing in the morning. Please let me know how she's doing and what questions I can answer for you.

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)