Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a 30 lb. 14yr. old -a-poo male dog - that is quite

Customer Question

I have a 30 lb. 14yr. old Cock-a-poo male dog - that is quite un-naturally restless - wondered about some aspirin - or would that not only not help, but, be un-safe? If it would help, how much? Is there anything else that might help him settle down some, that I might have in my med. cabinet - that would be o.k.etc.
thank you -
sue
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello Sue,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well if your dog is restless because of some discomfort then aspirin might help, in most cases aspirin will not do any harm so perhaps it is worth a try to see what happens. This is about the only safe over the counter painkiller for dogs

2. A typical dose rate for aspirin in the dog would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight given twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers