Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My eleven year old Dachshund hasn't defecated past five

Customer Question

My eleven year old Dachshund hasn't defecated for the past five days. I've gotten him to eat some boiled chicken and he drinks but his mobility is rapidly declining. He struggles to walk and when he tries to go up a step, his back legs fail.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. It is possible that he has a primary gastrointestinal problem, but with your description and his breed, I would be very concerned that he has herniated disk in his back. With his mobility declining and back legs failing, there is most likely some compression on the spinal cord. If that is the case, he is probably not defecating because it is painful for him to get into position. That can lead to a fecal impaction as well. My best advice would be to get him into a vet ASAP. If he gets to a point where he cannot walk at all or has no feeling in his rear limbs, then he can become permanently paralyzed if surgery is not performed to relieve the compression. If he is treated with some medications now, you may be able to avoid that. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Tobe. How is everything going?
Dr. John