Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

What are the best treatment options dog diagnosed with

Customer Question

What are the best treatment options for a dog diagnosed with lymphomasarcoma
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell me, please, if the lymphoma is cutaneous, multicentric (having more than one center such as multiple lymph node involvement), or gastrointestinal? Has it been staged (Stage I-Va or Vb)? Has an oncologist been consulted?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's in his lungs , and other areas , so multicentric . The specialist diagnosed him , im confused about treatment options that's why I'm asking

I'm sorry to hear of this. Once in the lungs, lymphoma therapy is quite intensive and the prognosis for a lengthy remission is poor. Chemotherapy remains standard therapy but in his case half-body radiation therapy after shortened induction chemotherapy should be considered. The results vary from superior (87% complete remission rate for a median of 14 months) to not significantly different (66% complete remission rate for median of 8 months) from treatment without half-body radiation therapy. Improved remission rates and duration are achieved with combination chemotherapy. Numerous protocols are reported with variations in scheduling, drug dosages, and dose intensity with most treatment protocols being of 6-12 months' duration. The most commonly used agents in these protocols include prednisone, L-asparaginase, vincristine, cyclophosphamide, and doxorubicin.

His specialist knows best how to proceed. If you can be more specific about what's confusing you, I'll do my best to clarify the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's chemotherapy or elspar? Or is elspar chemotherapy?

Elspar is the brand name for L-Asparaginase - one of the chemotherapeutic agents I mentioned above. The specialist will tell you that the inclusion of that chemo drug while very effective in inducing remission and is associated with a low risk of complications, may not significantly impact outcome in all patients.

Yes, it's chemotherapy +/- radiation therapy - which should be considered when the lungs are involved. Please continue our conversation if you wish.