Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Constant diarrhea, can't gain weight (Swiss Shepherd 13

Customer Question

constant diarrhea, can't gain weight (Swiss Shepherd 13 months old male)
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? How long has this been going on for? What tests have been performed already?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ghost is 14 months old and this has been occurring off and on since he was about 6 months old. He gets better and gains some weight and then he starts diarrhea again and loses weight. His weight fluctuates about 10 pounds each time; he weighs about 85 lbs now. He is very active and his appetite is voracious, also eating anything within reach. At times, but not always, the diarrhea is very frothy and oily. When he was about 6 months old, he had a very high temperature, about 105 degrees, undiagnosed but treated by vet with antibiotics and he got through it. At that time the vet did blood work and said everything was normal except his pancreatic levels were "a little off" but nothing to worry about. I thought of giardia but it comes and goes which didn't seem indicative of that. (we do have a waterfall ln the yard). I will be taking him in for booster shots soon and I want to be informed of the possibilities so I can do anything necessary to improve his health. Thanks, ***** *****

Sorry in the delay in response, I was offline when you responded. It sounds like he is on a pretty good diet and on probiotics, so I would be surprised if it is due to anything related to the diet. Is there anything that changes during the times he seems better? Or is the improvement completely random? As far as possibilities diet still could be one but if it was that then I would consider it a hypersensitivity to a specific ingredient. You can try a very limited ingredient diet, preferably what I refer to as a novel protein diet that consists of meat proteins such as venison, or rabbit. Other possibilities could be some type of intestinal parasite, but if he is on a monthly heartworm preventative then that would be less likely. I would advise that his feces gets test by an outside lab to rule out all possible parasites and then also recommend asking about testing for EPI just to rule it out.