Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 9 month teacup yorkie had a episode last nite where he

Customer Question

My 9 month teacup yorkie had a episode last nite where he seemed disoriented, wanted to hide behind chair and lay on floor, back legs shaking, after 45 minutes we decided to take him to emergency vet clinic, when we got there now 1 hour 10 minutes it disappeared and the vet could not find anything wrong with him??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I did
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Yorkie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

This could have been an episode of low blood sugar, which we see in small breed young dogs. If it happens again, try putting Karo syrup or honey on his gums and see if that helps at all.

It could have been a seizure, and seizures are caused by many things: low blood sugar, an irregular heart beat, low thyroid, epilepsy, a condition called liver shunt, water on the brain (hydrocephalus), Yorkie encephalitis. If it was a seizure, it is common for the dog to look normal by the time you get to the vet.

Sometimes a dog has an episode like this, and it never happens again and I hope that is the case with your dog. If it does happen again, I would start with some blood tests to check for low blood sugar, liver disease, low thyroid, etc.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I hope you are able to see my answer. Please let me know if you have any other question, and if this was helpful. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?