Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc
9138059

I gave my 10 lb toy poodle chicken with garlic powder on it

Customer Question

I gave my 10 lb toy poodle chicken with garlic powder on it 2 days in a row. She has a very strong garlic oder and has become lethargic. it has been over 12 hrs since she ingested it. I just gave her some canned dog food and she ate some of that but won't drink water. I am concerned that her blood cells may be damaged or suffering.My name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The chicken was cooked with garlic powder and other herbs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She has not been in contact with any other substances or food.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thanks for your question regarding your 15 year Poodle girl Miella. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.

Thank you for your patience.

Kind Regards,

Dr E

Expert:  Pet Doc replied 9 months ago.

Hi there,

Thank you for your patience. Yes - these symptoms are definitely a concern, and the lethargy, inappetance and reluctance to drink water could be caused by a number of things here. Given her age, Miella could in fact have an internal organ issue or even an undiagnosed endocrine issue here such as diabetes. Given the history of her having garlic powder for several days in a row however, then a 'heinz body anemia' is very likely here and would definitely tie in with the symptoms you are seeing. Onion and garlic (including powder) can have this effect, and this warrants immediate veterinary attention. Because you have definitely given garlic powder around 12 hours ago and a day or two prior to that, and you are now seeing these symptoms, then this anemia is the most likely cause for your girl's symptoms.

For this reason, I would definitely encourage you to get Miella to your local ER vet now if you can. Here they can carry out a full physical examination and take a blood test to definitively diagnose the cause of her symptoms. If the anemia is confirmed, then depending on the level of her red blood cells, she may potentially need a blood transfusion, or if her red blood cell level isn't too bad, then intravenous fluids. The fact she won't drink water is also an immediate concern as she will quickly become dehydrated if she doesn't. This is another reason to get your girl seen straight away. For more information on the potential anemia caused by the garlic powder ingestion, please visit this website: http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/toxicology/a/onion-toxicity.htm

Best of luck with Miella and please let me know how you get on if you get a moment. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!

Kind Regards,

Dr E

PS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.