Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog seems constipated, what can I do?

Customer Question

my dog seems constipated, what can I do ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

So sorry to hear Sophie is having issues with constipation

There are certain steps that can be taken to aid in reducing issues with constipation

1.) A high fiber food. This might include a light formula which will have a higher fiber content. This gives a dog a feeling of satiety and when the stomach is full there is an increased urgency to defecate which will help empty the colon

2.) Add water to the meals which is important in defecation and motility because it aids in lubrication

3.) Regular walks. Leash walks are critical in emptying the colon completely. Especially an hour or so after meals. When the stomach is full the gi tract tends to start increased motility so there is a natural urge to defecate. Walking 15-20 minutes after meals to encourage that mobility and emptying of the colon

4.) Supplements along with the light formula can include white rice (reducing the diet to add this), 1 tbsp canned pumpkin with dinner, 1/2 tsp of miralax, carrots with dinner (I feed my dogs a full whole carrots with dinner)

If this continues despite these recommendations it would be best to see your veterinarian to ensure there is no issue with the anal glands, a motility disorder that might require medication to treat, or another metabolic cause of this issue

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses. I am online another 30 minutes if I can be of any further assistance to you both

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sophie. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman