Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is 9 years old. Has been very active and healthy

Customer Question

My dog is 9 years old. Has been very active and healthy until a week ago. She has lumps all over her body, some big, some small. One was tested and benign, no cancer. She is eating and alert, but more tired than usual. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

Mark, whether or not any of her lumps/pimples are related to her being more tired than usual whould be predicated upon testing every one of those skin lesions. In general, I'm going to choose those that look dangerous and needle aspirate and examine the aspirate microscopically for evidence of neoplasia (cancer) - particularly for mast cell cancers. Can you upload a photo(s) of any skin lesion you're particularly concerned about to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see the icon) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com/

Being more tired than usual, however, while an important symptom it isn't pathognomonic (specifically indicative) of any one disorder. It should prompt a thorough physical exam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and perhaps X-rays of her heart and lungs. What did her vet have to say about her behavior and which medication(s) was prescribed?