Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 14 year old shih Tzu is breathing out hard

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 9 months ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any coughing?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is she lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
some coughing with movement. Not lethargic but sleeping more. Sounds mildly congested when I listen closely. Has Hx of lots of allergies.

Sorry for the delay in response. Had some technical problems at this end.

1- Is she eating and drinking?

2- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Friend, I am not able to make a live call at this moment. But, I will be glad to continue on this thread. Can you tell me if she is eating and drinking? In addition, can you look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His gums are pink. Hes drinking water but no eating since Sunday.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the symptoms that you describe in Sampson of breathing harder can be caused by many different medical conditions. The fact that you are hearing congestion I would really be concern that he may be building fluid in the lungs secondary to heart/lung disease. You see, when the heart is not functioning appropriately as a pump it will allow the accumulation of fluid within the lungs. When this happens the patient will cough, breath harder, etc. Could there be other causes? Yes, other possible causes are: Infections, tumors or even part of a systemic disease.

Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. I would strongly recommend having Sampson checked today by a veterinarian to listen to his heart and lungs; very important to make sure he is not having heart problems as this could be fatal if he goes untreated. He may need some testing as well like xrays and blood work. Treatment for Sampson will be based on exam and test results. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter