Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My 5 week old Chihuahua has been sick he's thrown up about 5

Customer Question

My 5 week old Chihuahua has been sick he's thrown up about 5 times and pooped twice it wasn't bloody and he won't eat or drink I thought it was parvo but he doesn't have bloody poop and isn't throwing up much it's been 3 days
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Could it be parvo without bloody poop? He'll get up and walk around to find me if I'm not laying by him but he sleeps a lot, and gets mad and growls if his mom or sister gets by him he's pooped twice in 3 days
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It does sound like this is probably Parvo. Not all parvo puppies have blood in the vomit or diarrhea. Many of them will have one or the other- vomiting and diarrhea. Some will have blood in one or both. It's not an all or nothing disease.

The best treatment is to hospitalize him. We hospitalize on IV fluids, antibiotics, anti-nausea meds and often times a feeding tube to aid in nutrition. With aggressive care, we get a > 90% survival rate. With at home care, the survival rate is only ~ 30-50%.

If you can't get him seen, then I would continue giving Pedialyte every 1-2 hours. You can give 1-2 mL per lb per hour to keep up with his hydration. I would also try to get some food into him. You can mix up canned food and water or pedialyte to syringe every 4-6 hours. If it's not parvo, the symptomatic care will still help to get him through this.

Here is a nice link on parvo treatment with more info:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=580

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.