Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 18 month old Lab who has never had a litter.

Customer Question

I have an 18 month old Lab who has never had a litter. However my daughter put a 4 week old puppy with her, and she produced milk. The puppy has been gone 3 days now. Day one was fine, day two and my dog was Sick. Swollen, diarrhea, and nausea. She is still very swollen with milk, but is feeling better. How do I treat the teat area to reduce the swelling? This is day 3.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like she may have developed mastitis. This is a pretty serious, and potentially life threatening, disease in dogs. It can lead to extremely swollen and painful glands. These glands can potentially cause sepsis and death if gone untreated.

The treatment is usually with antibiotics, pain meds, milking out the gland multiple times daily and anti-inflammatory wraps. If you can get to a vet, I would go that route. If not, you can use local wraps on the gland with cabbage leaves. These have some anti-inflammatory effects, so it's used in many cases of canine and human mastitis. I would also try to manually milk out the affected gland or glands every 4-6 hours. This is a good way to get the infection out.

For pain, I prefer Rimadyl + Tramadol. If you have to use something over the counter, Aspirin is the safest. The dose used is 5 mg per lb every 12-24 hours, as needed.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 10 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Maggie. How is everything going?