Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 19 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.
2263760

I have a four year old female spoodle, i found a black hard

Customer Question

hi, i have a four year old female spoodle, i found a black hard lump, scabish like, on her back, hair is growing out of it, and she doesnt seem to be in pain at all when i touch it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Some lumps are serious and some aren't. Let's see what the Veterinarian has to say. What is the dog's name?
Customer: shandy
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Shandy?
Customer: shes never had any other issues, or skin issues so this would be the first
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi, this is Dr. Gabby. When did you first notice the lump? Has it changed or grown? Would you like me to look at a picture of it? If so, you can post pictures on here using the paper clip icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, i have no picture on me at the moment. i noticed it a week or tow ago, and it im not sure if it has grown however it definitley has not gotten smaller, and it doesnt seem to be a scab that could be picked off,
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its about a centimeter long and wide, and is quite raised off the skin
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Ok thank you. You can always take a picture later. Anytime there is a lump that is not shrinking then it needs to be examined by a vet in person.

Unfortunately no one can tell you a lump is suspicious just by looking at it.

The vet will dry cells out of the lump and look at them under the microscope.

If the cells look abnormal then the lump will need to be surgically removed.

I can tell you a lump that never changes or grows is rarely cancer.

You could try some over the counter hydrocortisone cream three times a day for a week.

If that does not shrink it then it needs to be seen by a vet.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?