Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dig yelped out in pain this morning...think he tried to

Customer Question

my dig yelped out in pain this morning...think he tried to jump on the bed....he is in pain...Can I give tramadol and rimadyl tigether to relieve his pain to get him to the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

The combination of tramadol and carprofen (Rimadyl) is commonly prescribed when addressing osteoarthritic or neurogenic pain. The only contraindication I could imagine in your elderly Shih-Tzu would be a gastrointestinal disorder in which a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen should be avoided.

Dosing for Dean that I would consider would be 1 mg/lb up to twice daily of carprofen in conjunction with 2-5 mg/lb 2-3 times daily of tramadol. Always start at the lowest range of tramadol dosing and only increase the dose if necessary. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Dean. How is everything going?