Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I have a 6.8 pound Shih Tzu that I got Mirtazapine 15 mg.

Customer Question

I have a 6.8 pound Shih Tzu that I got Mirtazapine 15 mg. pills for today to help stimulate her appetite. She will not eat anything but chicken due to being on a bland diet because she was vomiting last Monday. I am questioning the dosage as it has me giving 1 pill every 24 hrs and everything on the internet that I can find would have the dosage at about 1/4 of this. Is this a safe dosage?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

According to the veterinary formulary the dose is weight related but does not specify and I do tend to use a lower dose in smaller dogs as yours. One reference is:

Mirtazapine is dosed at 3.75 to 30 mg per dog once daily depending on weight of the dog. For example:
- Dogs less than 20 pounds = 3.75 mg once a day
- Dogs approximately 21 - 50 pounds = 7.5 mg once a day
- Dogs approximately 50 - 75 pounds = 15 mg once a day
- Dogs greater than 75 pounds = 30 mg once a day

I agree with you that I would see if the 1/4 tablet daily will increase the appetite tonight and then consult with your veterinarian in the morning about your concerns. I always will start on the lowest possible dose and increase if warranted to stimulate the appetite. Better be safe than take risks that a higher dose might cause her to not feel even less like eating

Please let me know how else I can assist you both tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today, I am online just another few moments today

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!