Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

He's been throwing up after eating, like 4 hours later or

Customer Question

He's been throwing up after eating, like 4 hours later or so. At first wasn't hungry, about a week ago, now seems hungry, but then throws up. Been going on for a week or so. Drinking fine, stools, urine, all fine....if anything may be urinating more often. Doesn't seem to have a fever.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Have not seen him eat anything unusual. Just is vomiting food. Been watching him closely, as I have horses, and at times has eaten horse poop and thrown it up. Not letting him near it, or really anything else.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Large yellow lab, almost 7 years old.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Benson
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

With this degree of vomiting, I would definitely get some diagnostics. I think ultimately this is going to require surgery, but I would start with x-rays and bloodwork. The x-rays are done to look for obstructions in the stomach or small intestine. The bloodwork is to rule out metabolic disease like kidney or liver disease or diabetes.

If everything looks normal, I would go to surgery to explore the GI tract. I'd be looking for an obstruction, tumors or inflammatory changes in the abdomen. If nothing was found, I would take biopsy samples of the stomach, intestine, liver and lymph nodes. In that case, I'm looking for Intestinal Lymphoma or IBD (inflammatory bowel disease).

There are a lot of possible causes here, so it really all starts with the exam and initial diagnostics, then going from there.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.