Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have a 15 year old Pekingese with kidney and liver issues

Customer Question

I have a 15 year old Pekingese with kidney and liver issues and seizures. would the ingredients in Nuroplex be harmful in any way to his kidneys and liver?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Had a seizure in June of last year and we almost lost him. "Buzz seizure" Quit eating and drinking, lost strength to stand up, I used a medicine syringe to hydrate him until vet opened. Kidney levels were up and he was given liquids and put on phenobarbital Had been doing good until last week, when it happened again. kidney levels were much higher and this time liver levels were elevated. was on iv liquids for 4 days, and will be getting SQ liquids 3x a week. Doctor recommended Epakitin be given (its been ordered) and adding 10 mg Pepcid 2x daily.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 9 months ago.

Hello. thanks for the question.

Nuroplex is a combination of many different herbal ingredients. There are no safety studies done in dogs, so we don't know if it's harmful on the kidneys or liver. It appears safe, but we just don't have the tox studies to back that up. We also don't have any therapeutic studies, so we don't know if it's actually helping or not. There are many products like this out there. My general feeling is that they may help and shouldn't hurt.

When it comes to the seizures, I would continue Phenobarbital and make sure blood levels are checked periodically. If we're having breakthrough seizures more than once a month, then the dose should be increased. If we're having these breakthrough seizures and the blood levels are at the high end of the therapeutic range, then I'd add Zonisamide or Keppra. If the liver function is declining due to Phenobarbital, then again I'd add one of those other meds or switch completely if needed. Those two (Zonisamide and Keppra) are much easier on the kidneys and liver than Phenobarb.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.