brisadog
brisadog,
Experience:  dasdasd
25524280

I own a 47 pound female Shepard ( age 3). Who is super

Customer Question

I own a 47 pound female Shepard ( age 3). Who is super active Due to food sensitivities we have eliminated dry food and is presently on raw and honest kitchen (white fish) diet. She is still very thin. I have been feeding her 3 x a day. Usually 1 raw beef mixture (primal) and 3/4 c of the dehydrated food from honest kitchen. Everyone tells me she should only eat twice a day. Why?? Thanks so much.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Hi, I can help you with your question today.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you already read my question?
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

There is nothing wrong with feeding her more than twice daily. Healthy adult dogs are generally able to do well with only two meals daily, but there is no reason why it would be unhealthy for her to eat more frequent meals.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Yes, I see the question. As far as determining the appropriate amount of food for her to eat, I need to know a bit more about what she is eating. Is the Primal the frozen version, freeze dried, or the Primal Pronto?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Frozen beef patties
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

And does she always eat her entire meal?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tho I did just switch to the frozen ones from instinct raw by natural valley
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Oh yes and looks for more. I rehydrate the honest kitchen fish and mix it together
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Do you mean the Nature's Variety Instinct?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Her dehydrated food is " bravo " from the honest kitchen And her raw food is from nature variety
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Great. Give me a few minutes to calculate how many calories she is ingesting every day and compare to her estimated caloric needs.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

I also need to know if she is spayed. And is she a very active dog? Average? Couch potato?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Super active. This is really taking a lot of time. And I am repeating myself a lot
Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Yes, well, a detailed calculated answer takes time. She eats 2181 calories per day. For a very active dog, she should be eating close to twice that much. We need to increase her intake dramatically. This should not be done suddenly, but over the period of a couple of weeks.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

I would start by adding an additional raw patty twice daily. This will increase her caloric intake to 2933 per day.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

After a week, I would add a third raw patty (so two patties at each of her three meals) and increase her Brave reconstituted food to 1 1/4 cups per meal. This will increase her caloric intake to 4011 per day.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Then we will need to watch her body condition and make sure that she maintains at a healthy weight, and that she does not continue to gain past her ideal size.

Expert:  brisadog replied 9 months ago.

Please let me know if you have further questions. I am happy to continue until I provide the service that you seek. Here is my website if you need to reach me again: http://www.justanswer.com/veterinary/expert-drsusanfriend/