Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog sounds as if he has the croup. Noticed last night and

Customer Question

my dog sounds as if he has the croup. Noticed last night and this morning that she is coughing up what looks like a glob of white mucus but before I can get to it she swallows it
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: DeeDee and is around 9-10. not sure as she was originally a rescue
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about DeeDee?
Customer: no other than she is the sweetest dog ever. She is a cross i think between a chihuahua and something else and is tiny. She is a barker for sure.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your DeeDee. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Did this come on suddenly? If it did, this is probably "kennel cough" or infectious tracheobronchitis. She does not have to go to a kennel to get it. I have been seeing a lot of it lately.

If she is eating normally, and her gums are pink in color, and came on suddenly, a course of antibiotics should help her. You can also give her Robitussin DM (only the DM form), 1/4th of a teaspoon up to 4 times daily, but if this is kennel cough, she should see your veterinarian for some antibiotics.

Other possibilities that cause coughing in small dogs are heart disease and a collapsing trachea, but these tend to come on slowly and gradually get worse.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you could see my answer; what else can I help with?