Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My 6 yr old male Havenese started having bowel movement in

Customer Question

My 6 yr old male Havenese started having bowel movement in house at night or when I'm gone for awhile. I let him out before I went to bed or out.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
He has been off Trfexis for about 4 months. We live in west TX hill country.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cadbury. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Is he having diarrhea at all, or is the stool unusually hard or dry? The first thing is to be sure this is not a physical problem that needs treating.

If he is negative for parasites and the stool is normal consistency, then I would confine him at night in a crate or small room. He must not be allowed into the area where he has these bowel movement at night, or he will just keep doing it. To change a dog's behavior, they learn by you being proactive, preventing the unwanted behavior, not by your just reacting to feces in the house. He may need to be crated or confined at night, until he learns again to make it through the night without defecating.

First take a stool sample to your vet for checking, or if he has diarrhea, have him checked out to find out why. If he has soft or loose stool, he may not be able to help himself, he may not be able to make it through the night without defecating.

Let me know what other questions you have and if this is helpful. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.

I hope you could see my answer. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Cadbury. How is everything going?