Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Dog is panting and ding in corners. Following us everywhere

Customer Question

Dog is panting and hiding in corners. Following us everywhere on our heels. Totally not like him.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Sammy's behavior can indicate illness, anxiety, or the anxiety associated with illness. While his panting and change in behavior are important signs, they're not pathognomonic of any one disorder. Are there other symptoms of illness - inappetence, sneezing, coughing, vomiting, diarrhea, lameness, pale mucous membranes of his gums and tongue, increased respiratory rate, etc? Changes in his feeding schedule, your schedule, household changes, remodeling, and new pets or people in the home are known causes of anxiety in dogs. If Sammy's behavior persists, I recommend having his vet take a look at him in order to rule out a medical problem before attempting behavioral reconditioning.

Please respond with the additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I was gone last week but he was home with my husband. We are remodeling the master bathroom and everything is out of our closet and in the other bedrooms. The contractors have been in and out of the house for the last two weeks. He is eating, bowels are fine. It was just the panting and behavior. He finally laid down about 2 am and seems fine this morning.This was the first time that I used this service. I really wanted an answer a little sooner and to be honest don't know if I will use it again.

Thank you for the additional information and good update. I understand how you feel. It appears that many experts are uncomfortable giving less than definitive answers but in many cases that must be the case.

Hi Dianna,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Sammy. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sammy seems to be back to normal. Not sure what was going on with him but he's back to being his old self.

Thank you for the good update. I never argue with success.