How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebecca Your Own Question
Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 13285
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rebecca is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 19 lb dog just ate about a cup of trail mix with raisins

Customer Question

My 19 lb dog just ate about a cup of trail mix with raisins a few mand ms and about 2 Tbsp of chocolate chips. Should I be running him to the ER ?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

Hello,

I am sorry to hear what happened to Petey. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long ago did he get this?

You should induce vomiting as soon as possible because of both the chocolate and the raisins, especially if it happened less than an hour ago. I would either go to the ER or give him 1 to 2 teaspoons of peroxide in some milk or water ( not directly down his throat) at home.

If he got the trail mix more than an hour ago, then he should also be given activated charcoal, and his kidney function be monitored for raisin toxicity.

Let me know what else I can answer and how he is doing.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 9 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my answer! Please let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer.