How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Altman Your Own Question
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 11127
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Altman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We just got home and discovered our 14 yr old flat coat

Customer Question

We just got home and discovered our 14 yr old flat coat retriever ate my daughters box of valentine chocolates complete with wrapper. What should we do?
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please provide a little more information so I can guide my response:
- How long ago did this occur (I don't know your time zone so hour range would be great)
- How many ounces do you suspect she ingested and what type of chocolates? For example, milk chocolates filled with something versus solid dark chocolate
- How much does she weigh?
- Is she showing any symptoms that are abnormal for her?

Thank you

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is now 12:35pm and she ate the chocolate between 10:15 and 12:15pm. 8oz.of mixed chocolates, both milk and dark some with filling. She weighs 75 pounds. She is just lying on the floor but will get up when called.
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Thank you for the additional information. With this ingestion, you may see mild to moderate symptoms (depending on how much dark versus milk) which can include

  • Vomiting
  • GI Upset
  • Hyper Tension
  • Hyperactivity
  • Restlessness

Since your dog possibly ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 2 tbsp & 2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

If there is no vomiting induced, today please be monitoring for symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, increased excitement, water intake increase, muscle tremors, lethargy

If you see muscle tremors, vomiting is not subsiding, or hyper excitability then please consider a veterinary er because these can be issues with chocolate toxicity. But if you see gi upset only then this should pass within the next 24 hours

Typically chocolate toxicity symptoms peak at 4-6 hours so if you pass this mark without symptoms then she should be just fine but taking a few precautions today:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days (10 mg 1 & 1/2 tablet)
- Leash walks to help the chocolate pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tonight bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Good afternoon, I wanted to check in on Scout after she ingested the chocolate earlier today. How is she doing? Were you able to induce vomiting? I would love an update when you are able...

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!