Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has a skin laceration approximately 1 1/2, I have

Customer Question

my dog has a skin laceration approximately 1 1/2 long, I have furazone ointment. Is it safe use it on her? container says horses only??
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding, did not seem to impact sub facial area.
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lil, 1 1/2 yrs old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Lil?
Customer: Healthy and active. wound just inside hind left leg near center line
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How deep is the laceration? Is it full thickness through the skin?

Does it appear to gape open or do the edges lie aligned?

How old is it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is through the skin, it does gape open, and it is about 30 hours.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now if the wound is gaping open, then we do need to tread with care. The reason is because it will be more difficult for the body to granulate and heal then one that has edges lying in apposition. Therefore, if it is severely gaping, then it would be ideal to have your local vet stitch or staple this closed.

Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** question, after flushing the wound with a dog safe antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, betadine, or salt water) you can pat this dry and apply Furazone. This can be done 2-3 times daily as long as she isn't licking it from the wound. Therefore, to prevent that you will need to consider having an e-collar on her until this is fully healed. So, that would be our first aid option here if it is not greatly gaping., but again if it is then we'd want to think about having it closed surgically to speed the body's ability to heal this without scarring or risk of infection.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

*Please make sure to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet