Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

He gums have turned black
, Duffy and almost 8 a

Customer Question

He gums have turned black
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Duffy and almost 8 a Scottie
JA: How old is Duffy?
Customer: He has gone to the dog park 3 days in a row and he is about 10 pounds over weight. And he doesn't seem himself. He is 8
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Duffy?
Customer: just told you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

A black Scottie might develop black gums naturally but if his gums weren't black previously and are now actually turning bluish/greyish rather than black this indicates cyanosis/hypoxia - a lack of oxygen to his tissues usually due to advanced heart disease. Please clarify the color change for me and how long it's taken to change to that color.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?