Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Help my dog wont eat and she is peeing blood I brought her

Customer Question

Help my dog wont eat and she is peeing blood I brought her to a animal hospital they gave her 2 blood transfusions and steroids now the vet wants to cut her open and do exploratory surgery she thinks she is bleeding in her bladder they treated her for A urinary track infection gave her antibiotics nine hours later her breathing was still labored and kept panting they think she has immune mediated hemolytic anemia help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about Maddie's situation. It sounds like your girl is in a very critical state. In a situation like this, have they consulted with you about a possible referral for doing more tests prior to an exploratory. An ultrasound of the bladder could be done to see if there is a mass there or something else that may be surgical. I'm going to be honest here and say that if this is an immune mediated hemolytic anemia situation, surgery isn't likely to help. The main basis for its treatment is to get the immune system halted to stop it from destroying the red blood cells. When I have a dog that is urinating very red urine, I will spin it down in a centrifuge to see if it is red blood cells or if it is hemoglobin from destroyed red blood cells.