Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog seems to get overly heated to fast and sometimes

Customer Question

My dog seems to get overly heated to fast and sometimes pants heavily for an hour to return to normal after getting excited. She seems nervous as well as just not feeling well
overall. She also has started laying down when she eats.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I see that Moses is having some symptoms of potential exercise intolerance, which is what you describe as panting after excitement. Does he also have the panting happen after exercise as well or after running?

- Dr. H

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It doesn't even have to be exercise. He just has to get excited and bark.

Ok based on the symptoms you have described so far he has: coughing and panting on excitation or from heat. This is very suspicious of a heart or lung condition. Allergies don't really fit here. When was the last time he was seen by a vet and had his heart listened to?

- Dr. H

I would recommend to start with a physcial exam by your vet and chest x-rays. Saint Bernards are predisposed to a number of heart related diseases so this is definitely something to look into. - Dr. H

I see you haven't reviewed my recent posts to your question. I wanted to check in to ensure you didn't need further assistance with your concerns regarding Moses. I truly hope everything is ok with him.

Feel free to update me on his status or type a reply if you wish to continue the conversation. Thanks!- Dr. H