Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has diarrhea and not eating regularly
, Coco and

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Coco and is 6 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Coco?
Customer: nope...everything else is normal...i had her checkup a week ago and she became sick soon afterward
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Most of the time she has loose stools. Today, I noticed she vomit a little so I'm concerned.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she had these signs?

What does the diarrhea look like? Any blood?

Did she just vomit the once? What was it like?

Is she drinking normally? Keeping water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have noticed these signs for 4 days now.Sometimes it is like soft stool and other times its shapeless. I don't see any red blood but its dark so not sure if is blood or not.She vomited once but it wasn't all food - mostly waterish.
She is drinking normally and seems to keep water down.
Gums are pink and moist.
I pressed on her belly and she seems not to have any discomfort or tenderness but will do again.
It is possible she could have eaten something she should not have since I have a big yard and she could have but I don't know if this is the case or not.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that her gums are normal and that her belly is comfortable. Though if there is a chance Coco could have picked up something in the yard, we do need to tread with care. Otherwise, we'd have to also be wary of a brewing bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, and general dietary indiscretions.

Now with those concerns in mind, we do want to keep a close eye on her at this stage while starting supportive care. To start, you can consider putting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume if she has been vomiting. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and material to pass as diarrhea. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Now as long as we aren't seeing blood and that diarrhea isn't black (a sign of digested blood in the stool an a sign to have her seen urgently), then we can try her with a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate, these would not be a cure if the cause were infectious; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing this upset GI.

Finally, since Coco has been eating poorly and vomited the once, I do suspect she has a degree of nausea here. Therefore, if she isn't willing to eat the light diet, you can consider treating her with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid) or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger this upper and lower GI upset we are seeing with Coco. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start supportive care to settle her stomach. If she cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet