Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  12 years of experience with domestic and exotic dogs, PLEASE rate my service when satisfied.
17018043

My 31 lbs. three and a half month old american bulldog was

Customer Question

My 31 lbs. three and a half month old american bulldog was bit in the face last night by our older german shepard. She received one large puncture would that didn't penetrate all the way through her cheek. I had taken her to an emergency overnight vet. There she was prescribed Rimadyl at a dosage of a 25mg tablet twice daily for five days and Cephalexin at a dosage of a 250mg tablet twice daily for ten days.
Today I followed up with my primary vet and he indicated the dosage should be double with same mg tablets for both drugs. Therefore, two Rimadyl 25mg twice daily and two Cephalexin 250mg twice daily. He prescribed the additional meds to follow the 5 days of Rimadyl and 10 days of Cephalexin.
I looked up dosages online for these drugs and the Rimadyl appears very high for what my primary vet has prescribed. I am reading 2mg per lbs of the dogs weight for Rimadyl.
Who is right? I dont want to take any chances.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you.

It is certainly frustrating when 2 vets give 2 different sets of advice. The standard dose for Rimadyl is 2mg / KG or 1 mg/lb so her actual dose would be 31 mg. So I agree that 50mg total of Rimadyl is a little high. Is it dangerously high? Not really if she's otherwise healthy. The cephalexin is often used at doses this high unless it causes mild stomach upset. I can't tell you directly what to do as I don't have a legal relationship with you but I agree with the emergency vet on the Rimadyl and the Cephalexin the most. However I don't think you will harm her with the higher doses if you are to follow your primary vet's instructions. If I had to choose, I'd go with the emergency vet like I said before. I hope this helps, if not please feel free to ask more quesitons. If it did help, please leave a rating. Dr. Dan

Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Dan