Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a cross terrier /who constently keeps liking s front

Customer Question

I have a cross terrier /who constently keeps liking his front paw yet I cannot see nothing wrong with it, someone said he is lacking something, can you please give me a club what might be wrong.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 9 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It is not unusual for this breed to start licking at an area that has irritated them like this lesion in between Micky's paw and as they lick this, it becomes even more irritated causing him to lick more and so on. You will have to break this cycle:
1. Give Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to reduce the irritation in case this is an allergic reaction.
2. Apply Betadine to this area and then wrap it with gauze and tape so he cannot get to it. This will dry out this area so the bacteria cannot grow and will break this cycle. Repeat this daily for 7-10 days. All of these can be purchased at the pharmacy over the counter.
3. If this is not enough, purchase an Elizabethan Collar at the pet store that will keep Micky from licking this area. Also, there are products such as Bitter Apple that can be applied to the paws to stop this licking available at the pet store.
If this does not work, there still may be a foreign body within this area that your vet will have to examine.

This can become an Obsessive/Compulsive disorder that your vet can help you with.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****