Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My Hamster has some sort of infection on s belly. (open and

Customer Question

My Hamster has some sort of infection on his belly. (open and infected) it started out under his arm and now has spread. it is infected and has pus and stinks really bad. I took him to the vet on tuesday and she said it was infected and thought he may have gotten hurt somehow. There isn't anything in his cage to hurt him. She gave me antibiotics. I have been giving them to him twice a day since Tuesday night. It is now friday and is seeming to get worse and stinks more too. I am not sure what to do but my heart breaks for him and I wish I could make him feel better.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I am not sure what else you need. He has a nasty infection on his belly that has pus and stinks really bad. The antibiotic doesn't seem to be helping. I know he doesn't feel good but is still happy to see me and is eating and sinking but has a really hard time walking. I don't know what to do about the infection. all the vet gave me was an antibiotic.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

What antibiotic are you using? Has his vet dispensed anything else?

Can you take a photo of this? If you can do so, this will let me see what you are seeing. To post them online, you can use the paperclip icon on the tool bar above your text box. Or if you can't see that on your computer/phone, then you can post them on any other site (ie Flickr, Photobucket, imgur, etc) and paste the web link here for me to check.