Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog ate my stool that had chemotherapy waste on a pad.

Customer Question

My dog ate my stool that had chemotherapy waste on a pad . What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Dorothy

I can see you must be concerned about Bella but I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. This sort of situation is unusual in terms of the chemotherapy waste and so a bit of an unknown quantity in the dog. However I very much doubt if it will do your dog much harm, perhaps a minor transient bout of vomiting or diarrhoea but I would not expect worse than that. So probably you would be taking very little risk in just monitoring your dog for now and then contacting an ER vet in the unlikely event that severe symptoms occur.

2. On the other hand if you want to be 100% sure then one of the best things you can do in this sort of situation is to make your dog sick immediately and try recover any toxic material that way, If you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK where quite a variety of drugs or toxic substances has been swallowed. For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Dorothy,

I am just checking back in to see how Bella is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the chemotherapy waste incident ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott