Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My puppies is an American pitbull and she can move her upper

Customer Question

My puppies is an American pitbull and she can move her upper body but not her back legs and she is shaking she's about 2 and a half mobths but she wont eat either and was just fine like 2days ago whats wrong with her?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Encephalopathy (brain disorder) and myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) need to be considered in such a pup. My differential diagnoses would include a central nervous sytem infection such as neosporosis which typically causes an acute ascending paralysis (from hind legs moving up to the front legs) in dogs under 6 months of age or a congenital (present at birth) spinal defect that has resulted in spinal cord compression and paralysis. Baby needs the attention of her vet who is likely to recommend X-rays of Baby's spine and if nothing unusual is seen, test for Neospora caninum which is a coccidial parasite.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.