Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog he is a mastiff.. past 5 days he has been shaking..

Customer Question

my dog Sam he is a bull mastiff.. for the past 5 days he has been shaking.. doesn't want to be around anyone.. he runs upstairs.. he barely eats and occasionally drinks
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Sam?
Customer: no he is a healthy dog. 8 years old.. besides neutered .. he has always been actibe
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Sam. His shaking, inappetence, and reclusiveness are pathognomonic (particularly indicative) of both pain and anxiety in our dogs and these can coexist. Are you seeing any other symptoms that might localize pain? Have there been changes in his environment that might have made him anxious - new people or pets, a change in his feeding schedule or your schedule, remodeling or other household changes?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
nothing has changed...

Thank you for the additional information. Sam's vet will want to perform a thorough physical exam on Sam including diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests and careful palpation of Sam's spine and limbs. If pain can be elicited by palpation of his back or flexion/extension testing of his joints, X-rays may be suggested. An 8 year old bull mastiff might be quite osteoarthritic and painful. He's likely to be quite stoic and initially only demonstrate those symptoms although osteoarthritic changes can be quite advanced in his spine and/or appendicular (limb) joints.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?