Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dogs anus is red and moist. Is this normal? He is 17

Customer Question

My dogs anus is red and moist. Is this normal? He is 17 years old. Thx
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he licking his anus?

2- How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is not licking his anus, and prob noticed yesterday, but the redness has gone down a bit
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, redness and swelling of the anus is not normal. This could be a sign of having full anal glands, allergies, infection, etc. to name a few causes. I would have him checked by family veterinarian for a hands on examination. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not let him lick the anus or the medication below. If he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking/gnawing at affected area.

2- Pick up in your local pharmacy "Hibiclens" antimicrobial soap or chlorhexiderm scrub. Wash area with this soap 2-3 times a day. If you do not find the above soap use over the counter antibacterial soap.

3- After washing affected area as above apply a topical antibiotic like neosporin or bacitracin. Do this 2-3 times a day for the next 7-10 days.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about 17. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter