Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I would like to ask about several issues

Customer Question

i would like to ask about several issues
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

Please tell me your dog's breed, age, sex, neutered or not, diet, duration of illness or behavior, and I'll be pleased to discuss your dog with you.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Zorro)mother dog is 2 years old
and 3 puppies 3 months old (Melody) female and (Marly/ Micky) male
up to date in vaccines
but recently Micky started to have empty spots in his tail which worries me
its not itchy but im afraid of having mite or insectsi would like you to suggest for me a certain Diet for them specially that melody is the lowest weightthere pop is kind of lose but i really dont have any reason for thatHala
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
in the picture you will see zorro after breaskfeeding the skin color changed and i can see those black and brown small spots
is that normal
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Melody the female puppy had s pimple in this area and after a while it turned to this color
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Marly tail with the skin problem

Thank you, Hala. The hyperpigmentation is consistent with a post-inflammatory skin reaction - in this case the inflammation associated with breast feeding and having pups crawling over her for many weeks. It's not a pathological change. If she and the pups haven't been wormed yet, it's necessary to do so at this time. You're likely to see stools firm up once you worm with a product containing either fenbendazole or pyrantel pamoate. Avoid the poorly effective piperazine-containing wormers. Worming needs to be done at least twice (two weeks apart) with pyrantel pamoate or for three consecutive days with fenbendazole.

I don't see a photo of Micky's tail but any hair loss at his age should prompt skin scrapings of the affected skin in an attempt to identify the presence of the Demodex mange mite. Demodicosis is very common in pups and doesn't necessarily need to be treated because it usually abates unaided within 12 weeks.

The pups' diet should be a high quality commercial puppy food which can also be fed to Zorro because she's become nutritionally "drained" by her pups. I don't know what you have available to you where you live. Please let me know.

The tail pics just showed up. Yes, skin scrapings are indicated and the information I posted concerning demodicosis stands. Yes, the pimple is another cause of inflammation and post-inflammatory pigmentation. Minor skin infection in that area (impetigo) are common in pups and don't need to be treated in most cases.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i did give them dewormer
but can you recommend a dewormer for me that i can buy online
and dry food as well

As mentioned above any wormer containing pyrantel pamoate or fenbendazole should suffice. See here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DHCHO/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me= and here: http://www.amazon.com/Panacur-Canine-Dewormer-4-gram/dp/B000296N7S

Dry food from manufacturers who work closely with veterinary nutritionists such as Purina, Hill's, Royal Canin, and Iams are good choices. I prefer that any foods have the AAFCO seal of approval on the product label. AAFCO is our food testing organization.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
i found goodwinol ointment can i use it for micky

Goodwinol (rotenone is the main active ingredient) is no longer recommended for treating demodectic mange. We've shown that dogs who appear to improve after rotenone therapy would have improved without it just as quickly.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?