Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My little dog is yelping all night. He is in pain and I do

Customer Question

My little dog is yelping all night. He is in pain and I do not know what is wrong. A few years ago we took him to the clinic when he had a similar problem and we were told that he has a narrowing at his joint and that is way he was experiencing discomfort. What can I give him for pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 1 year ago.

Hello this is Dr. Holloway but you can call me Dr. H for short. I understand you have a painful pet with potential hip dysplasia it sounds like from your description.

You are looking for options of pain management. Do you happen to have any previous pet pain medications on hand at home from previous injuries or surgeries?

There are no safe over the counter pain treatments for dogs. A lot of human pain meds can make your pet very sick and can even be lethal in large doses, so I would not recommend any unfortunately. - Dr. H