Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 8 year old chicchua seems like she is in pain. Darting

Customer Question

My 8 year old chicchua seems like she is in pain. Darting around not sleeping chasing her tail and slight panting
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Can't find comfortable position and not slerping. Fine one day then bad the nect
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Are you seeing any sores, lumps, redness or changes around the rectum?

Are her gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Could she have eaten anything she should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She had anal glands removed /surgically when she was maybe 1 year. No tenderness on abdomen. Her stool this am were soft but not diarrhea. Did not eat anything different.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It seems to be way worse at night
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Just since it has been a wee while since you posted, how is she now?

Has she been like this more then one night?

Any appetite change?

Any history of slips, falls, or tenderness in the back or hips?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
She is not as jumpy. But gets worse as day progresses. Appetite normal. This is third night she as been like this
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did u get my answer
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I would note that situations where dogs are sore or unwell are often worse at night. This is because there isn't as much environmental distraction at night and therefore ongoing issues in the body tend to be more prominent. Its the same with people and it also suggests that we have an ongoing issue as opposed to waxing/waning signs.

Now give the darting behavior, discomfort, and lack of other overt signs; we'd be most concerned that we either have an underlying nerve issue, joint based discomfort, or even a brewing inflammation in the lower bowel (which the soft stools do raise concerns for). Anal gland issues are also common, but obviously not one in your lass's case.

In a situation like this, since she isn't giving you much to go on, we'd want to consider potentially having a check with her vet. That way we can pinpoint the root cause right off the bat and treat accordingly. Otherwise, you could try some mild home care to see if you can reduce her signs, In regards ***** ***** we could start a light diet (ie rice with boiled chicken, white fish, cottage cheese or scrambled egg) and canine probiotics (which are OTC at most pet stores) for her. If she has sounded gassy as well (since gas build up in the gut can cause painful colic), we could also treat with OTC activated charcoal. Otherwise, to try to rule out those other pain issues, as long as she is otherwise healthy and on no other medications, you could try a low dose of buffered Aspirin (More Info HERE). That said, I do have to warn you that if we have a nerve or bone based issue that requires stronger pain relief from her vet, using Aspirin could delay them starting those. So, if you were planning on having her checked, then we may need to hold off on that. But if you do, then make sure you only give it after meals.

Overall, we do have a few concerns for her vague signs. I do think she is uncomfortable during the day as well, even if she puts on a brave face. Therefore, we need to at least consider the above to see if we can settle this for her. But if she doesn't or is very restless and sore; then we'd need to have a check with her vet to narrow these concerns down and get her settled.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet