Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side

Customer Question

My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side breast area and the nipple on top of it is red, what could be causing it, incidentally there is a cat at the house that has been sucking on her boob because the cat thinks that the dog is her mother, is it possible that maybe the dog has an infection and what needs to be done?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My dog is a Bichon Frese and she has a swollen right side breast area and the nipple on top of it is red, what could be causing it, incidentally there is a cat at the house that has been sucking on her boob because the cat thinks that the dog is her mother, is it possible that maybe the dog has an infection and what needs to be done
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 9 months ago.

It sounds as if you've made the diagnosis. By the principle of Occam's Razor, the cat has broken the nipple skin and you're seeing a bacterial cellulitis (inflammation of the tissue) which may already have abscessed. This would be best addressed with a broad spectrum antibiotic such as amoxicillin-clavulanate (Clavamox) prescribed by your dog's vet. If abscessation has already arisen, surgical lancing, flushing, and establishing drainage might be necessary.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.