Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My 14 lb poodle ate maybe a half bottle of fish oil. Should

Customer Question

My 14 lb poodle ate maybe a half bottle of fish oil. Should I do something?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 9 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

If your dog ingested this within the last hour then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (i.e. 1 & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

There will not be a toxicity in this ingestion but more gastrointestinal upset including vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, reduced appetite and a concern with pancreatitis or inflammation of the pancreas as it works to metabolize the extra fat...

If you are unable to induce vomiting, then I would advise taking a few precautions tonight:

- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg per pound every 12 hours for 3 days
- Leash walks to help the fish oil pass more readily of >15 minutes
- Tomorrow bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat such as chicken in small more frequent meals but waiting at least 12 hours after vomiting has subsided if he shows this symptom
- If the vomiting or gi upset is not resolving then please consider a veterinary exam to rule out pancreatitis but hopefully you will be able to remove some of the fish oil from his gi tract and he will have no clinical signs from this ingestion

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know who else I can assist you both today

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am online another 20 minutes to assist you with any additional questions or concerns