Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Our 8 yr old pit mix is experiencing paralysis in her back

Customer Question

Hi Dr Elaine,
Our 8 yr old pit mix is experiencing paralysis in her back left leg. A couple weeks ago she couldn't jump into the car as well as usual and it has just gotten progressively worse. She has no control of her bowels now and can't really walk. She's been to the vet the last 3 days and they have no clue. Blood normal. No Lyme. I brought her to the animal hospital today, and they did an X-ray and saw ortho, but again, no answers. They recommend an mri. The thing is, Kayla has just finished 6 months of chemotherapy for lymphoma and was responding well, till the treatments ended about 3 weeks ago. I know this doesn't give her that much time and I don't want to put her through mri and surgery at this stage. Plus the costs are out of control. I'm pretty much losing my mind on what to do and would love some help so desperate and don't want to see her suffer any more. Thanks.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 9 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.

What medications are she currently on?

What orthopedic problems did they see on the x-ray?