Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My puppy is sick. He won't eat or drink. He is breathing

Customer Question

My puppy is sick. He won't eat or drink. He is breathing fast. His name is Jett.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I haven't been here today. When I got home, he had pooped two times. He usually eats like a jig. He won't touch his food or water.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How old is Jett?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is a rescue pup and my guess would be 3.5 months

Hello again

Sorry to hear your pup is sick, I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. If these symptoms continue then what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your pup over sooner rather than later.

2. While the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet I would say from the fact that he is not eating and breathing fast that it is possible that he is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of such symptoms in your dog's age group.

3. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature, but you should be aware that a range of other diagnosis are also possible.

4. In the meantime until you can get him to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and try make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

I am sorry I cannot safely give you any more specific advice via the internet.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Jett is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his suspect infection ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He died

So sorry to hear your news ...

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott