Ola Barrett
Ola Barrett,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Lake Chatuge Animal Hospital
77721119

My dog is a 17 yr old mini dachsun who has been lethargic,

Customer Question

My dog is a 17 yr old mini dachsun who has been lethargic, not drinking and now having bloody diarrhea. I want him to die at home. Is there anything I can do to ease any pain. His breathing is very heavy and uneven.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Ola Barrett replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Dr RB and I am a small animal veterinarian. I am sorry you are going through this..it is very difficult to lose a life long pet.. It is understandable that you would want him to pass at home. Do you have a local veterinarian nearby that would be willing to do an house call and provide you with a compassionate at home euthanasia? This would probably be the easiest way for you and for your little Dachshund to relieve his suffering and most veterinarians will provide this service. If this isn't possible for you to do this and he is very close to the end, the only thing you can do is provide him with a warm, comfortable place to lay that is quiet and peaceful and let him know that you are nearby... I hope this is helpful to you..

Hello, if my advice was helpful to you will you place take the time to rate my response to you?